Prince Kaybee Biography: Early Life | Background | Career | Achievements | Albums | Awards | Controversies
Prince Kaybee is a renowned South African musician, DJ, and producer who has made a name for himself in the dance music scene. He is also known for his inspiring journey of overcoming challenges and following his passion for music.
Prince Kaybee Early Life and Background
Prince Kaybee was born Kabelo Motsamai on June 15, 1989, in Senekal, a small town near Welkom in the Free State province of South Africa. He is the youngest of 36 children that his father had with multiple women. He is also the only child of his mother, who raised him as a single parent.
Prince Kaybee had a difficult childhood and adolescence. He dropped out of school in grade 11 after impregnating his girlfriend. He then moved to Bloemfontein with a friend but soon found himself homeless and hungry. He survived by working as a DJ at a Nigerian-owned club, where he earned enough money to buy food and rent a room. Prince Kaybee also met a girl who invited him to live with her. He used his laptop to practice his DJing and producing skills.
Career and Achievements
Prince Kaybee’s breakthrough came in 2013 when he entered and won a DJ competition on SABC called 1’s and 2’s. This gave him exposure and recognition in the music industry. He released his debut album, Better Days, in 2015, which featured hit songs such as “Wajellwa”, “Friend Zone”, and “Better Days”.
In 2017, he released his second album, I Am Music, which included the smash hit “Charlotte” featuring Lady Zamar. The song won him several awards, such as Best Male Artist and Best Dance Album at the South African Music Awards (SAMAs) in 2018.
In 2018, he released his third album, Re Mmino, which featured the viral song “Banomoya” featuring Busiswa and TNS. The song became one of the most-played songs in South Africa and across the continent. It also won him more awards, such as the Song of the Year and Best Collaboration at the SAMAs in 2019.
In 2020, he released his fourth album, Project Hope, which was a collaborative project with 10 female vocalists who he discovered through social media. The album aimed to empower and showcase new talent in the music industry. It also featured the popular song “Uwrongo” featuring Shimza, Black Motion, and Ami Faku.
In 2021, he released his fifth album, The 4th Republic, which featured guest appearances from King Monada, Nokwazi, Black Coffee, Afro Brotherz, and others. The album showcased his versatility and growth as an artist.
Prince Kaybee has also collaborated with other artists such as Sir Trill, Aymos, Bucie, Nokwazi, NaakMusiQ, and more. He has performed at various events and festivals such as Rocking the Daisies, Ultra South Africa, Spring Fiesta, DSTV Delicious Festival, and more. He has also toured internationally in countries such as Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Nigeria, UK, USA, Australia, and more.
Prince Kaybee Awards
Prince Kaybee has received numerous accolades and nominations for his music. Some of them include:
- Best Male Artist at the SAMAs in 2018 and 2019
- Best Dance Album at the SAMAs in 2018 and 2019
- Song of the Year at the SAMAs in 2019
- Best Collaboration at the SAMAs in 2019
- Best Remix of the Year at the Dance Music Awards South Africa (DMASA) in 2018
- Best Male Artist Southern Africa at the African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA) in 2019
- Best DJ Africa at the AFRIMMA in 2020
- Best Producer Africa at the AFRIMMA in 2020
Personal Life and Controversies
Prince Kaybee is currently dating Zola Mhlongo, a radio presenter who goes by the name Zola Zeelovin on social media. The couple has been together since 2020 and often shares their love and affection on their platforms. They have a child together, Milani, born in 2021.
Prince Kaybee has also been involved in some controversies and feuds with other artists and celebrities. Some of them include:
- A beef with DJ Black Coffee, who accused him of copying his style and sound in 2018.
- A feud with DJ Maphorisa, who criticized him for not owning his masters and being a slave to his record label in 2020.
- A scandal with Hazel Mahazard, who leaked his nude photos and exposed his cheating on Zola in 2021.
- A tlof tlof tape leak with Cyan Boujee, a social media personality who claimed that Prince Kaybee was the one who leaked the explicit video of them online in 2023.