Early Life and Education
DJ Oskido, born Oscar Sibonginkosi Mdlongwa, was born on 23 November 1967 in Oukasie township, near Brits, South Africa. He is the son of a Zimbabwean politician, Esaph Mdlongwa, and a South African mother, Emily Sophia Molefi.
Oskido spent most of his childhood in Luveve Township, Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, where he completed his basic education at Gifford High School. He returned to South Africa at the age of 21 in 1988 to run a family business in Lethlabile, Brits shop before he left for Johannesburg to pursue a career in music.
DJ Oskido Music Career
DJ Oskido’s music career started when he volunteered to perform at Razzmatazz nightclub in Hillbrow, Johannesburg after the scheduled DJ failed to show up. He gained popularity by slowing down American house tracks to a tempo that “Africans could dance to” and reworking songs in the studio.
He later teamed up with fellow producers Don Laka and Christos Katsaitis to form Kalawa Records in 1993. They released their first compilation album under the name Brothers of Peace (BOP) that same year. After Katsaitis left the label, it became Kalawa Jazmee Records in 1995. DJ Oskido has since produced and collaborated with numerous artists such as Bongo Maffin, Boom Shaka, Mafikizolo, Busiswa, Black Motion, and many others. He is also a regular radio DJ on Metro FM.
DJ Oskido is one of the pioneers of the kwaito genre of music, which is a fusion of house music and African sounds. He was instrumental in the rise of Afro-house and amapiano genres, popular house music forms in South Africa and beyond. Some of his notable albums include Project A (1998), Zabalaza (2000), I Believe (2013), and Akhiwe (2019). Some of his hit songs include Makwerekwere (1998), Woza Nana (2013), AmaGrootmaan (2016), and Ma Dlamini (2019).
Awards and Recognition
DJ Oskido has received several awards and nominations for his contribution to the South African music industry. Some of them are:
- Best Remix of the Year for Professor ft. Oskido & Charactor – Finger Prints at the 2012 South African Music Awards (SAMA)
- Best Dance Album for I Believe at the 2014 SAMA
- Best Collaboration for AmaGrootmaan at the 2017 SAMA
- Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2018 Dance Music Awards South Africa (DMASA)
- Best Male Artist – Southern Africa at the 2019 African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA)
DJ Oskido is not only a successful musician but also a respected businessman who owns several businesses in different sectors. Some of them are:
- Kalawa Jazmee Records: This is an independent record label that has been at the forefront of youth culture and has produced top acts such as Bongo Maffin, Mafikizolo, Thebe, Alaska, Professor, Character, Black Motion, Boom Shaka, Zonke, Winnie Khumalo, DJ Zinhle, Magesh, and many more.
- Oskido’s Airbnb Business: This is a luxurious apartment situated in Sandton, an affluent area in Gauteng. It belongs to DJ Oskido, and he rents it out as an Airbnb for guests to enjoy the amenities such as free wifi, a gym, a steam room, an ice room and a restaurant. The bedroom has a walk-in closet and a private balcony with beautiful views. One can experience this opulent apartment for just R960 per night.
- Daruma by Oskido: This is a Japanese restaurant located at Waterfall Corner in Midrand. DJ Oskido ventured into the food industry with this business and shared his passion for cooking on his social media platforms. He said he sold food before being a DJ outside Club Razmatazz and downtown Johannesburg.
- DJU (deejays unite): This is a team of leading South African deejays, musicians, producers and media professionals that comprises DJs Oskido, Vinny, Fresh, Christos, & Greg “The Maestro” Maloka. They established the Southern African Music Conference (SAMC) in 2005 to inspire and educate aspiring musicians and deejays. They also organise events and festivals such as Spring Fiesta and Metro FM Awards.
DJ Oskido Personal Life
DJ Oskido is married to Mathapelo Mdlongwa. He has six children: Bass Mdlongwa, Naledi Mdlongwa, Akhona Mdlongwa, Oscarine Mdlongwa, Apple Mdlongwa and Ziyanda Mdlongwa. is a proud father who often shares pictures of his family on his social media platforms. He is also a devout Christian who believes in God’s grace and mercy.