Main purpose of job:
The residence team performs an important role in representation of the British Embassy in Harare with the residence cook/cleaner playing a vital role in this dynamic team. The residence team is dedicated to creating memorable guest experiences through provision of excellent housekeeping, maintenance, food and beverage service and general official hosting.
The residence cook/cleaner position is one that is challenging and rewarding, requiring a proactive and flexible individual who pays close attention to detail.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Main job function is to assist the head chef in preparation and cooking of international cuisine catering for varying official events at the Residence ranging from; breakfast, lunch, dinner, afternoon tea, receptions and buffets as well as preparing daily meals for the Ambassador and family. Clearing, cleaning and putting away dishes after each event.
- Ability to adapt to different guest dietary requirements and have knowledge in preparation of vegetarian and vegan menus. Must have knowledge of modern cuisine and cooking techniques.
- Provide cover in the absence of head chef when needed.
- Secondary job function is housekeeping and general cleaning of the residence private and public areas and waiter service for standing receptions and formal sit down dinning.
- Ensuring the residence remains in good working order, reporting faults and maintenance issues regularly.
- At least two years’ work experience in professional kitchen as a line cook/cook position
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours and remain calm under pressure
- Ability to work within a team
- Pays close attention to detail
Level of language required: Fluent written and spoken
- Previous work experience in an international standard hotel/lodge, diplomatic residence or equivalent.
- Experience in pastry/dessert station
- Understanding of local/seasonal ingredients
- Experience in Housekeeping and/or Food and Beverage service
- Job Opportunity: Vodacom Seeks Energetic Sales Consultants in Cape Town
- Job Opportunity: SABC Seeks Skilled Graphic Designer to Join Their Team
48 Hour Work Week. Selected candidate must be willing to work flexible hours and overtime as and when needed.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Harare are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Zimbabwe.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office Success Profiles can be found on this link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf
- Please note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Successful candidates not resident in Zimbabwe will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position